Friday, August 26, 2011

A Prayer for These Times

Slow me down, Lord!
Steady my hurried pace
With a vision of
the eternal reach of time…
Teach me the art of taking
minute vacations.
Of slowing down
to look at a flower…
to chat with an old friend…
or make a new one…
to pat a stray dog…
to watch a spider spin a gossamer web…
to smile at a child…
or to read a few lines from a good book.
Remind me each day
That the race is not always to the swift;
That there is more to life
than increasing its speed.
Slow me down, Lord!
And inspire me to send
my roots deep
Into the soil of life’s
enduring values.

~ Orin L. Crain

I don't remember where I found this prayer, but it is perfect for this season of my life.  The last year or so, I feel like I've been running from activity to activity, finding "good" things to do, staying busy, running here and there, always asking, 'what should I do next?' but never thinking to ask, 'Lord, what do YOU want me to do?' 
I never took a moment to thankfully savor
the talents He had given me, 
or sought His will about how I was to use them. 
I know He has a plan.  He has prepared good works for me to do!  But often in life, MY plan takes precedence.  Why? Often because I simply did not take the time to seek His will, but even more often, because I failed to wait.   How often have I pushed my way off of the path God had prepared for me so I could chase what I wanted at the moment, or because life seemed to be at a stand still when I wanted to be moving?  Why must I wish for what I don't have at the moment?  When will I learn to savor the waiting?
When will I realize that HE is all I need? 
He has placed me where I am for a purpose and has provided all that I need to live a life of joy In Him.  When will I stop chasing the 'good' things I see, and turn instead to the lasting riches that Christ is waiting to give to me.  Yes, that He is waiting to give me, if only I will stop, wait, and turn my eyes to what matters most.  To stop reaching for all that is "good" and wait for Him to give me what is best at just the right time.
Slow me down, Lord!  
And inspire me to send
my roots deep
into the soil of life's
enduring values. 
The enduring value of You.

"Wisdom righteousness and pow’r,
Holiness forevermore,
My redemption full and sure,
He is all I need"

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Amen, sister! :-)